Black Chai is a flavoured tea beverage made with black tea and a mixture of aromatic Indian spices and herbs. Originating in India, the beverage has gained worldwide popularity, becoming a feature in many coffee and tea houses.
Although traditionally prepared by a decoction of green cardamom pods, cinnamon sticks, ground cloves, ground ginger, and black peppercorn together with black tea leaves, retail versions include tea bags for infusion, instant powdered mixtures, and concentrates. In some places, the term “chai,” alone, can refer to the beverage.
- Ingredients: Totally Certified Organic Black Tea, Aniseed, Caraway, Ginger, Liquorice, Cinnamon, Cardamom, Cloves and Peppercorns
- Brew: 1 teaspoon per 250mls at 90-100◦C for 3-5 minutes
- Serve: On its own or with a little honey to sweeten. Traditionally brewed on honey and milk
- Flavour: Cinnamon and spice
- Properties: Soothing, warming, digestion
- Storage: Cool dark pantry in an airtight container or tin
- Caffeine Free: No
- Organic: Yes
- Origin: Sri Lanka